I’ve just finished with installing IBM Docs; an install post will follow shortly.
Users were reporting issues of the Activity stream popout failing with “An error has occurred”
Selecting more details, reveals the following.
000002a7 BasicOAuth2Re W BasicOAuth2Request exception
I then backtraced the changes we had made. As the issue referred to GZIP, I thought of compression and what changes I’d made in the installation of Docs.
One step of this installation is to modify the httpd.conf file on the IBM HTTP Server to enable compression for various data streams. This is done by invoking the mod_deflate directive.
The main winners when this form of compression is enabled is the end user on a low bandwidth connection. Users on a local LAN the benefits aren’t as drastic, but it’s still a good idea.
For example, text can be compressed by up to 70%. That baeing said, some types of data don’t lend well to compression, i.e jpg, pdf, etc.
Read here for IBM’s technote on enabling mod_deflate.
Anyway, back to my error. I had added the following changes to our httpd.conf file as part of the docs install. Please note these are all commented out.
By a method of deduction, we worked out that the “application/octet-stream” was the culprit for killing the Activity stream popout. We’ve disabled this entry, and all works again.
Hope this saves someone half a day of stuffing around!