Changing subdomain in Connections,CCM and Docs

I’ve just completed a process where a customer needed to change their subdomain due to an organisational name change. This site has a pretty large install.  CCM, Docs and also leveraged Windows Desktop SSO via SPNEGO.

The change was to

There is some documentation out there on how to change host names, but I wanted to compile a list for this specific task. So here you go.


SSL CSR created, new key created and imported into new KDB. Make available on IBM HTTP Server.

DNS change implemented, and points to existing IBM HTTP Server. Keep old record in place as well. Also ensure that the new record is resolvable on all Connections hosts.

Change the SSL Certificate over in IHS. (Change the following)

Keyfile D:\IBM\HTTPServer\NEWkey.kdb
SSLStashFile D:\IBM\HTTPServer\NEWkey.sth

CellDefaultTrustStore as it shared a common root with the previous Certificate.

Connections changes

Change the LotusConnectection-config.xml file. Check out with wsadmin, change the references to OLD and replace with NEW. Check-in. Process here

While in wsadmin, change the Notifications file to reflect new mail domain. Change the Administration user that notifications come from. Check-in. Process here

Change and update Blogs

To update the URL’s inside blogs, there is an AdminTask. while still in wsadmin, execute the following.



Change LTPA to reflect new Domain.

In the ISC, select Global Security > Single sign-on

Update the Domain name field to reflect the new sub domain. i.e from to


Re-sync all nodes, stop and restart the entire environment (DMGR and NODES).

Docs Changes

Docs is pretty straight forward.

The property files for Docs all need to be changed. They are found in: <WAS_HOME>/profiles/<DMGR>/config/cells/{cellname}/IBMDocs-config/

Change all instances of OLD url to NEW in the concord-config.json file, and the viewer-config.json file. Just to be safe, verify no instances of OLD url exist in the other .json files in the directory. If there are, change them.

Re-sync all nodes, stop and restart the entire environment (DMGR and NODES).

CCM Changes

For CCM, we only had to update the Activity stream widget. Follow this process


Update Scheduled tasks

Jump back into wsadmin, and run the following. Following is from the knowledge centre.


Note: If Scheduler.clearAllTasks() does not clear tasks successfully, run clearScheduler.sql manually for each of the applications. 
For example:

db2 -v -td@ -f activities\db2\clearScheduler.sql
db2 -v -td@ -f homepage\db2\clearScheduler.sql 
The SQL scripts are in the following locations:

AIX or Linux: connections_root/connections.sql directory.


Update Search

I planned on updating search, but I didn’t get any errors after the change while using the search. Just to be safe,  I kicked off a new once off index task after the changes were completed.




…..and finally, a bit of a catch all

IBM HTTP Server rewrite – redirect OLD url to NEW

Add the following to handle any URLS that still come in using the old name. Replace your new server names below.

#Added to support redirect from OLD to NEW
<VirtualHost *:80>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^/$    /homepage     [PT] 
    RewriteRule ^/(.*)$1 [R,L]
RewriteEngine off

<VirtualHost *:443>
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^/$ [PT]      RewriteRule ^/(.*)$1 [R,L]    
RewriteEngine off

<VirtualHost *:80>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^/$     /homepage     [PT]
RewriteEngine Off

<VirtualHost *:443>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^/$     /homepage     [PT]
RewriteEngine Off





IBM Viewer / Docs error in C5.5 CR2

I’ve been a little quiet on the Blog front, but this year I’ll make an effort to update a bit more frequently. 2016 wasn’t a quiet year for me Technology wise, I got to work on some great Connections/Portal implementations and other environments. Apologies for the lack of updates.

I’ve been investigating an issue with Connections 5.5 CR2. and IBM Docs 2.0. What happens is that user will get an error while trying to view or edit the document. The users will get an error like the following.

"You are not entitled to use Docs or do not have permission to
edit this file. The file must be shared with you and your
access level set to editor. The file might also be locked by
another editor"


"The IBM Docs server cannot be reached. Please contact your administrator"

Errors in the Logs for Docs servers are similar to the following:

DocumentDraft E   Failed to generate snapshot for document. docID: 7125b890-4f8e-4a94-8fee-eb6bfc776802 Exception occurred with error code: CLFAD1000, message: Have no permission on this file in repository, and additional data: {"docUri":"7125b890-4f8e-4a94-8fee-eb6bfc776802","repo_err_code":"AccessDenied","repo_err_msg":"EJPVJ9070E: Unable to logon the user with the J2EE principal connectionsadmin.","repo_http_status":1000}

I’ve seen this sort of thing before after applying patches whereby you need to reapply the security to the J2EE principal and reserve the configuration. I tired that, and had the same issue.

Restarting the Files App seems to resolve the issue temporarily.

Appears that there is a known issue in CR2 and it’s being tracked in this APAR. (You’ll need an IBM Login)